Choosing your friends is choosing the kind of life you want to live and the future you want to have. If you desire a bright future and choose unenthusiastic friends, you will surely have an undecided future. The adage that says: “show me your friend and I will tell you who you are” remains true. If you claim you are emotionally strong and not easily influenced, it only shows that your friends have not been able to get your “password”, “code” and “key” to unlock the soft spot in you. Everyone can be influenced. Studies show that when you constantly relate with a person, you subconsciously pick up traits and attributes of the person and think, act and dispose of in a similar way. If your life styles do not match your friends, what are you friends for?
Friends have a lot of things in common; you eat, play, pray, listen to music genres, go to cinemas and every interested places together, argue, fight, love, defend yourselves and a host of others, but majorly, all is geared toward making each of you a better person in perspective and reality.
The Bible speaks on friendship so well that many examples are giving. Jonathan and David are popular friends, Jesus and His Disciples were friends, Amnon and Abinadab were friends, Rehoboam had friends too.
So what do you look out for in choosing your friends?
Friend, please look out for the following:
• Genuine love for your wellbeing like Jonathan to David;
• Genuine sacrifices for you to fulfil destiny like Jonathan showed David;
• Developmental efforts to make you better at your career, ministry, studies, finance like Jesus helped the disciples to become “fishers of men”. Do not forget to do these things for your friends too since friendship is two persons actively involved in essence and for pleasure.
Caution in Choosing Friends
• Be wary of greedy persons and betrayers like Judas so you won’t be sold for naira and kobo or a piece of bread;
• Be wary of friends who encourage perversion like Abinadab;
• Be wary of friends who have selfish desires like Saul wished the death of David yet enrolled him into his service;
• Be wary of friends who give you pieces of advice to disregard the words of the elders like Rehoboam’s friends;
• Be wary of friends who have traits of misusing power when they get it like Rehoboam.
If these things are considered and put in place, you will have good reasons to invest in friendship and love again.
I awesomely believe you have had this article worthwhile reading and learning about forgiveness and healing a hurt. Kindly apply them to your life and give us a feedback via comments and sharing. I am obliged to you!
…to be continued next week!
Writer: Boluwatife Olugbemiga