On my WhatsApp platform, I brought in a guest to treat the topic: “How to motivate myself to stay motivated” and in the process of exposing the topic to the group participants, a vital point was made. You cannot feel motivated if you have not discovered your purpose! I had to think this through thoroughly and break it down in order to have a clearer understanding of what that statement means. The truth is when things seem unachievable, only your purpose will drive you to keep moving. Of a truth, other things may motivate you but your purpose will always keep you aligned and upright.
Someone will ask the question, what exactly is this purpose? Literally, purpose is the reason for which something is done or the reason behind carrying out an action. But in this context, I would like to give my personal definition. Your purpose is that which you live for, it guides your decisions in life and helps to shape your goals and aspirations. Now, imagine the case of a person who has not discovered his/hers, he/she is merely existing and not living the life of his/her dreams. We have a lot of people who simply passed through life without leaving an unforgettable mark. They exist, fill in the gap, perform day to day activities, live a stereotyped life, bear children, work and remain unhappy. Well, the reason is they were unable to discover the reason for their existence. Instead of living life to the fullest, they end up wallowing in self-pity. You will find out that people that fall under this category give up easily because there is no driving force to achieve anything.
Like I mentioned on my platform, age is not a determinant for discovering life’s purpose. Well, the earlier the better! If you are still young and agile, you stand a better chance of enjoying the benefits of discovering your purpose, unlike a man/woman who is already close to the grave.
Do you know sometimes it feels like you have an idea of what your purpose is and in the real sense, you are not even close to discovering it? Do not get it twisted! Whatever course/discipline you are studying or studied in school have might not even be it. Ever wondered why you find people who studied Geology becoming professional Events Planners? Well, its because they derive joy in putting smiles on people’s faces.
Let us not go too far. How can one discover purpose? I would outline some steps that can be of help to you.
In all honesty, you need to know God first. After all, He created you and He knows you in and out. You can not go on the quest of purpose discovery without His input.
• The next thing you need to do is to identify yourself. I wrote on this is my article WHO ARE YOU?
• Discover your values. What are the things that matter most to you?
• Explore the things you love to do and the things you do easily (your hobbies, likes, etc).
• Take note of those attributes of yours that you exhibit to the world effortlessly. Things you do without stress or extra power.
• What is your happiest moment, your eureka moment and what instigated it? Find out!
• Write out your life’s visions (mission and vision statement of your life), this would help.
• Get a mentor or life coach, sometimes, you need to talk to sensible people. Do not go around discussing your life with people that will ruin everything you have built.
• Listen to your heart. Sometimes, you need that inner conviction. So, what is your heart telling you?
• Read inspiring books.
• Stop dreaming, take actions!
If you can follow these steps, I can say boldly that you are good to go. I love this quote: “the most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you discover why“.
I wish you good luck on your purpose discovery quest.